Wednesday 6 June 2012

If it's good enough for Carrie and Co, it's good enough for Jayne

“What happens after you say ‘I do’?”  Well, if you are Carrie Bradshaw, you end up childless and in marriage limbo, until one day, over lunch, you and three glamorous friends are offered an all expenses-paid holiday to Abu Dhabi. If you are Jayne Riley, you end up jobless and in career limbo, until one day, at an interview; you are offered a tax free salary and all year round sunshine in Abu Dhabi. And just like Carrie and Co, I packed up my Prada and followed in their stiletto footsteps to the land of sand...

For the last 2 years I haven’t once put the petrol in my car, I have told the time by listening to the local mosque call, I haven’t paid tax and my housework has consisted of leaving a ‘to do’ list for the maid. Welcome to my life in the ‘Abu Dhabi Bubble’. The richest country in the world, where you earn money fast and spend it even faster. Where tigers are considered pets, the vending machines sell gold and you get the valet to park your car at the supermarket.
A country that was once a quiet fishing village known for its pearl trade is now a stunning city that proves anything is possible. Abu Dhabi has it all: the best in luxury hotels, modern attractions, fabulous beaches, deserts and mountains, the Grand Mosque and camel beauty contests. Yes, even camels like to strut their stuff. Our neighbouring Emirate, Dubai, also boasts the world’s tallest building, largest aquarium and mall and the first refrigerated beach. The Middle East has it all, and if we don’t have it, then we will build it. Or buy it in most cases!
Over the next few weeks I will lift the Abaya on life in the United Arab Emirates. My fellow ‘Abu Dhabians’ will relate to my words, everyone else, take what you read with a pinch of salt or even a grain of sand...
Oh, and I must mention that I LOVE living in Abu Dhabi, just in case anyone is offended (Jail is no place for my Louboutins).

No comments:

Post a Comment