Sunday 3 June 2012

The "Blonde"

I am a blonde. A blonde who is preparing to go backpacking around the world for a year. I have quit my job, bought an around the world plane ticket and at the moment, I am currently having nightmares about how I am going to pack everything I will need and wear for an entire year into a 60 litre backpack (and that’s 60 litres NOT including the 60 bottles those litres come in, as I later found out). I can already hear the bets being placed regarding how long I will last.
I am the ultimate “girly girl”. I like expensive jewellery that I wont be able to wear when travelling in case I get mugged or they get stolen. I like nice clothes and shoes which I won’t be able to take with me because I don’t want to have them ruined, lost or stolen. So, basically, I am going to have to go travelling with 60 litres (not including the bottles) of clothes from Primark that I don’t care about so I don’t mind if they get ruined, lost or stolen. I also shower obsessively and wash my hair without fail every other day which is going to be a major problem when sharing one shower with ten other people. But this upsets me! How will I ever cope? I want to take with me my best dresses, jewellery and my heels. My full bathroom cabinet of products, a suitcase full of make up, my hairdryer, GHD’s and curling tongs. But no, for the duration of my travels I shall be silver free, frizzy haired and cheap clothes filled. Let’s hope I ‘find myself’ pretty quickly! I also don’t like bugs, getting dirty or getting my hair wet. You get the gist. But, the above is not entirely how I would perceive myself – merely how I suspect others perceive me.
I will admit it – I am what you would call a "girly-girl". I like to dress up, I'm most comfortable in heels, and, I don't feel quite myself when I'm not wearing at least a little makeup. Despite my disdain for getting wet, sweaty, smelly or dirty, I love to travel and try new things. And although I may not be the biggest ‘outdoorsy’ type, I do enjoy ‘outdoor’ activities; I just like to look good while I do them.
In 9 weeks time I will be joining my 2 best friends to embark on an adventure around the globe. Three 20 something “girly girls” who have checked out of their jobs, checked out of their homes and are checking out the world instead...
Will I be giving up my sparkly flip flops for Tevas Sandals? Or swapping a spritz of my Chanel No. 5 for a cloud of bug spray? No chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment